Restaurants and other Food Service Businesses have special considerations and requirements that must be met before they can open their business. There are zoning and signage considerations, Health Department requirements, and other processes that must be considered. The SBDC has compiled Restaurant Checklist for opening a restaurant in the City of Alexandria that outlines the process.
It is also important to review taxation and employer requirements that are particular to the food service industry. Be certain to work with an accountant to set up your systems to collect things like meals taxes, employee withholding, etc. correctly. If you need referrals to attorneys, accountants, buildout specialist, or other area professionals, contact the SBDC.
The SBDC has a Restaurant Self-Assessment that is helpful in determining areas where you may need assistance. Resources available particularly to Food Service businesses in the City of Alexandria include:
- Alexandria Restaurant & Retail Small Business Initiative materials
- Restaurant industry specialist who presents training programs and performs site visits
- Educational programs and workshops
- Checklists and other materials in the Food Service section of the Resource Library
- Partnership with Visit Alexandria, which can connect restaurateurs to opportunities for promotion