We provide counseling in a variety of areas, and we customize our services based on your specific needs. See the list below for examples of types of guidance we provide, and click here to request a counseling session. You can also find out more about our experts who provide one-on-one counseling to our clients.
In addition to general consulting on issues such as business startup, City processes, Business Plans, loan application procedures, financial issues, etc., the Alexandria SBDC has several subject matter experts who meet one-on-one in our office with City of Alexandria small businesses. If you are a City of Alexandria small business and wish to take advantage of these opportunities, contact Gloria Flanagan at email@example.com, who will let you know when these consultants are scheduled to be in our office and what additional information is needed for your particular consultation.
- Social media consulting is offered by Ray Sidney-Smith of W3 Consulting on a monthly basis. There is a special questionnaire to be completed before consulting can be scheduled.
- Human Resources consulting is offered once each month by Patricia Frame of Strategies for Human Resources. These 50-minute individual sessions are highly recommended for City of Alexandria businesses who have issues or questions regarding personnel matters, or who are planning to hire their first employees.
- Nonprofit consulting is offered on the first Friday of each month. Legal issues regarding setting up a nonprofit will be addressed by attorney Jennifer Gniady, Esq., and other nonprofit issues (organizational issues, fundraising, marketing, etc.) by Jennifer Ayers of JLAyers Consulting. Nonprofit organizations, or those who are considering a nonprofit, located in the City of Alexandria, may take advantage of this opportunity.
- Government Contracting consulting is offered on an as-needed basis in the area of business development, contracting issues and certification. City of Alexandria small businesses should first contact Gloria Flanagan to determine which Government Contracting consultant would best meet your business needs. This consulting is offered by John Boulware and experts from The M&C Group.
- Health Department Consultations are offered once each month in our office by Rebecca Sletner of the Health Department. Businesses that will include food or beverages generally require Health Department approval and this is a great opportunity to ask questions and run ideas before someone on an informal basis prior to official Health Department sign-off on your license application. For existing businesses, this will be an opportunity to get a further understanding of Health Department inspections and regulations as they apply to your business.
- Legal Consulting – Small business brief advice legal clinic is offered once each month. Local attorney Lonnie Rich of Rich Rosenthal Brincefield Manitta Dzubin & Kroeger, LLP, will be available to meet with Alexandria SBDC clients to discuss business legal issues that they may have. These include business structure, leases, contracts, employee agreements, and similar matters.