Whether you are a startup business or an existing business moving into the City of Alexandria, it is important to comply with all City and State processes and requirements. A good place to start is the Checklist under Start Your Business.
State Processes include:
- Determining Your Business Structure. See the Virginia Business One Stop for assistance in determining your structure and in filing Articles of Organization for a LLC if that is the structure you determine best suits your business. (Step 3 of the Start Your Business Checklist)
- Special state licensing required for certain professions ( Step 7 of the Start Your Business Checklist)
- Taxation Requirements (Step 9 of the Start Your Business Checklist)
City Processes include:
- Business License – required for all businesses in the City of Alexandria. The City’s Permit Center, located on the 4th Floor of City Hall, is the go-to place for all City permits (Step 8 of the Start Your Business Checklist)
- Special use Permit, if needed (Step 10 of the Start Your Business Checklist)
- City taxation requirements (Step 9 of the Start Your Business Checklist)
- Sign permits (Step 11 of the Start Your Business Checklist)
- See materials from the Alexandria Retail & Restaurant Initiative for additional specific information about City of Alexandria processes for retailers & restauranteurs
The Alexandria SBDC is ready to assist you in these processes. We also have referral lists of attorneys, accountants and other professionals who can help in their specialized areas.